Obscurus | Preparing for the Swedish Game Awards Conference

So over the past week I’ve been hard at work, getting Obscurus to run as smoothly as possible, as well as adding new assets for Level 2. This has mostly been because of the Swedish Game Awards Conference which is hosted by Södertörn on the 8th and 9th of March. This blog post will document what I’ve been doing and what is left to do before Saturday. I’m taking part of the the Student Showcase, where I get to show off Obscurus for the companies there as well as the other students who are attending. This is a great opportunity for me to show how far I’ve come with Obscurus.

Level 1 Rebooted

As has been said previously, I’m working on a rebooted version of the first level. This has mainly consisted of creating larger asset building blocks and building the level. This work completed this week, and I have started the arduous task of transferring all the doors, sound effects, speakers, etc. Luckily, the way I set up my initial Level Flow in Bitsquid, all I actually need to do is move these assets to their corresponding places. The flow looks like the image below. A trigger with a delay plays the animation on the door, that triggers an unspawning of a collider once the animation of opening the door is completed. At the same time, the trigger also triggers the door’s sound effect at the door’s location. Thus, I only need to move the trigger and door to the correct position and my initial Flow still works.

flowexample

Level 2 – The Hotel

The second level is where I’ve been focusing most of my efforts lately, as it provides a nice break from adjusting assets or perusing Lua code. This level has a 50’s / 60’s hotel theme, reminiscent of The Shining or The God Complex episode of Doctor Who. This level will feature a very different narration (more on that in a future post), and will have a different feel, for a very specific reason that hopefully will become clear by the end of the game.

When designing the wallpapers, I looked at 50’s wallpaper designs, brought them into Photoshop, where I then drew over them to try and get a more cartoony feel. This, however, led to some not so seamless textures, something that still needs to be fixed soon. Overall it was a lot of fun to do though, a nice change of pace.

I’ve also got some ideas for the menu, but I’m leaving that for another post, other than this image.

menuWIP1

Advertisements